Welcome to The Jade Dog Designs and Jade Dog Beads.
You'll find unique art-to-wear and unusual beads and findings to use in your own creations.
Stand out. Stand apart.
The Jade Dog
- Art History, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- American History, University of Maryland- Asian Division, Yakota, Japan
- American and Architectural History, Architecture- University of Nebraska at Lincoln
- In the Court of Art- Women v. Trump, Group Exhibition, Jan 2017, 1301 Gallery, Hot Shops Art Center, Omaha, NE
- Materials-Crafts-Art, Group Exhibition, Oct 2016, Gallery 72, 18th and Vinton, Omaha, NE
- ArtSlam+, 10 Emerging Artists, Friends of Art (UNO), Apr 2015, Bancroft Street Market, 10th & Bancroft, Omaha, NE
- HerArt/HerSelf, Group Exhibition, Nov 2014, Gallery 72, 18th and Vinton, Omaha, NE
- www.figure50.com, Season 3. (Juror, Maureen Bloomfield, Editor-in-Chief, The Artist's Magazine)
- Omaha Fashion Week, Avant Garde category, collaboration with Sabrina Jones, Fall 2013
- Potluck 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 Hot Shops Art Center, Omaha, NE (Curator, Paula Wallace)
- Artist Invitational Award, 2019 Powderhorn Art Fair, Minneapolis, MN
- Festival Favorite Award 2018, Beadwork Category, Art at Bayfront Park, Duluth, MN
- First Place with 'Untitled II, Turquoise Deer Skull,' 50th Annual Clay, Fiber, Paper, Glass, Metal, Wood Awards 2018, Octogon Center for the Arts, Ames, IA
- Award of Excellence, ArtSplash 2017 & 2018, Sioux City Art Center, 225 Nebraska St, Sioux City, IA
- Sherry Serafini, Beading Across America, March 2011, Kalmbach Publishing, 39-42.
- Suzanne Smith Arney, The Crafts Report, Trials and Embellishments, August 2009, pgs 52-56.
- Haute Handbags, Volume 2, photograph, April 2007, Stampington & Co., page 122.
- "That's Clever," Bead embroidered heart pendant, Home and Garden Television, October 17th, 2006.
- "Salon," Belle Armoire, photographs, July/August 2005, pages 55 and 74.
- "Salon," Belle Armoire, photographs, May/June 2005, pages 61 and 76.
- Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha, Nebraska- Jewelry Workshop in conjunction with "The Glory of Ukraine: Golden Treasures and Lost Civilizations," Spring 2011.
- Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha, Nebraska- Jewelry Workshop in conjunction with "Rivers of Gold," Summer 2009, Chainmaille Workshop, Winter 2010.
- Iowa Western Community College, Continuing Education Department, Shenandoah, Iowa, Bead Work Series, 2006-2009.
- Iowa Western Community College, Continuing Education Department, Council Bluffs, Beadweaving series, 2004-2007.
- Darcy Horn was born in Northern California in 1970. Horn studied architecture and art history at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and -Omaha before becoming a self-taught bead artist, opening her own business, The Jade Dog Designs, in 1998. She has been a finalist in Bead Dreams 2006 in Minneapolis, appeared on HGTV's "That's Clever" in 2007, and represented Iowa in "Beads Across America," published in 2011. Horn juries into art shows throughout the midwest and runs two Etsy shops, thejadedog.etsy.com and jadedogbeads.etsy.com.
Beads are my clay and paint, my poetry and dance.
The moment over 20 years ago I first picked up needle, thread, and beads, I knew I had found my medium. What my mind saw I was able to create. The process is introspective, and although I begin a project with a loose idea of the final form, I let the beads and the techniques take over and guide me. I studied both architecture and art history, both of which strongly impact my work in structure and texture.
I began my beading career making art-to-wear and successfully run my own business selling my work online, in galleries, and at juried art shows. For the past 9 years I've evolved my beadwork techniques to make personal and political sculptures and three dimensional works. My art jewelry is also evolving to include more repurposed, upcycled, and sustainable materials.
Updated, January 2020